Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hurry up and Weight

I got my technologically keen dumbbells in the mail the other day. When I approached my front stoop I was a little annoyed to see a large box sitting front and center. Normally the delivery guy will at least put large boxes on the back stoop so would be thieves aren't tempted. The box clearly had "Bowflex SelectTech 552 Dumbells " written on the front. I thought to my self, why don't they just write "STEAL ME!" in big red letters on it. I soon discovered why so little attention was paid to deterring driveby clepto's. The damned box wouldn't budge from where it was delivered. I huffed and I puffed and started chanting "I think I can, I think I can, etc ..." but my dumbbells seemed very happy where they were. So the "552" in the model number has some significance if you happen to be mildly dislesic. Each dumbbell is adjustable, via a fancy dial, from 5lbs to 52.5lbs. Well the package had 2 of those puppies for a grand total of 105lbs. Well luckily I only had to move it about 3 feet to get it in my front door so I just rolled it end over end. I pitied the poor delivery guy who had to drop that off. I should leave him some asprin or a card for a good chairopractor next time he comes around.

Well now that they're in and unpacked I'll be excited to try them out. These Dumbbells are really the bees knees because they really do replace an entire set of regular Dumbbells and are much faster to adjust than Dumbbells that use screw on plates. Basically each dumbbell has a dial at either end. To use then you simply turn both dials to the selected weight and pick them up. There is a mechanism inside that rotates and grabs the right combination of plates out of the stand/holder. When you lift up the dumbbell it takes the weights needed for what you have dialed and the rest remain in the holder. They were fairly expensive but I think that it's money well spent in terms of space saved and ease of use.

No comments: