Sunday, August 17, 2008

Riding my bike all day

Wow I just finished my training ride for the Century I'm doing next week. I have to admit it was quite an ordeal. I managed 102.15 Miles today 8-o. That's the farthest I've ever ridden my road bike and I think I'm happy with that record holding for quite a while. I averaged 16.4mph over the entire ride. I was physically on my bicycle seat for 6hrs and 13mins and amazingly don't have to get a new bottom. I have a professional bicycle fitting to thank for that.

Friday I went to a very elite bicycle shop that does professional bicycle fittings for athletes (Contes). It cost a small fortune ($150 + Addl Parts) but it was well worth it. I used to have all sorts of problems after a long ride; Ass I couldn't sit on, sore back, stiff neck, wonky knee. Also my road bike was real touchy. I wouldn't dare let go of the handle bars, even for my victory salute to the crowds ;-). 2hrs of professional consultation, a new seat, a new stem, 3 different inserts/shims in the shoes, many bicycle adjustments plus too much money and all is well. I believe I'm justified in the expense considering how much time I'm spending in that saddle.

On the down side my 90 Challenge pretty much got completely derailed today. My diet was completely in the trash because of me trying desperately to get enough calories to keep up my energy level. I calculated that I burt 4000 additional calories today 8-o. That's twice what the everage person eats in a day. I had 3 breakfasts and decent lunch and put away almost an entire large chicken supreme pizza for dinner and I'm still in the hole 2000 calories. And today was a cardio day for P90. Well I guess I definately met the cardio requirement. But since I'm anal and didn't actually do the DVD I'm not counting it.

No comments: